Wednesday, April 19, 2006

To safeguard (mini)tradition.

I haven't done this since I was maybe 10 years old. Is it possible to break from tradition? I have allways thought that it is something inborn (well, not inborn, but something that we can not just reject. It is like using fork when eating. We were taught to eat this way but we think it is natural - yuck, another truism!!). Something we have. No, actually it was something They have because I've allways suffered from being rootless. Or from getting rid of feeling of common root. There are two kind of tradition. Tradition with a big "T" and tradition that appears only in the plural. I've neglected both. No, Tradition has been abandoned.

Emigration makes people create their own world. They create new networks that should mirror what we had been used to before moving abroad. On the other hand these new connections are made to find ourselves in this new geographical and social space. And to prove that we are going to manage new dimension, new life. In the naive belief we try to break away from a group we had belonged to. This ambiguity is an inextricable part of every emigrant's life. We have to remember that majority is not coming abroad with specified aims. Paradoxically shapelessness of our expectations, hopes and images does shape us.

In quest for a feeling of belonging we make connections. Relations. Network. Forced community. Unfortunately, with the passing of time these synthetic fibres are not enough...

Ok, I've just realized that I am not writing about what I had planned to do. Nevermind. What I wanted to mention is that I've really understood what social scientists call for tradition's rebirth. I've understood the emotional behind revival movements (for once without digressions about politics and my obsessive talking about groups of interest). I've understood that traditions can survive without Tradition. Continuity without faith and will to continue.